Head of Finance, Nordic International Support Foundation (NIS)
Reporting to the Executive Director, NIS’ Head of Finance is expected to drive a culture of energy, innovation, and excellence within NIS, support the Executive Director in analysing and managing the financial health of the organisation and meeting NIS’ longer-term strategic objectives. The role includes the following main responsibilities:
Internal Control, Compliance and Risk Management
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting throughout the organisation.
- Undertake spot check testing activities both at the headquarter (HQ) and at the Country Office (CO)/Programme level.
- Implement, assess, and adjust financial risk mitigation strategies.
- Support the Head of Operations to meet external requests for organisational audits, due diligence processes, etc.
- Support the NIS internal audit function as needed, and responsible for NIS external financial audits.
Budget, Forecast and Reporting
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of the organisational budget, financial forecasts and report variances.
- Prepare and publish timely quarterly organisational financial statements.
- Control, review and approve programme and project budgets and financial statements.
- Coordinate the preparation of regulatory reporting.
- Manage and comply with relevant organisational reporting requirements and tax filings.
Finance Management and Accounting Operations
- Responsible for the year-end closure process and annual financial audit, in close collaboration with the Chief Accountant. Support month-end processes.
- Support the Chief Accountant as needed.
Human Resources Planning and Management
- Effective line management support and direction to staff as needed.
- Determine and implement staffing requirements for NIS HQ and support field offices to achieve the same.
- Proven relevant work experience as a Head of Finance (or similar) or Financial Controller.
- Advanced degree in accounting (CPA (certified public accountant) or CMA (Certified Management Accountant) preferred).
- International experience. Experience from non-profit organisations is preferred, but not required.
- Detailed knowledge of and experience from SAGE or similar accounting software.
- Strong ability to work strategic, systematic and solution oriented.
- Exceptional communicator, with strong management skills.
- Fluent in Norwegian and English (written and spoken).
- An inclusive, dynamic, and international work environment with energetic and committed colleagues.
- Flexible working hours and home office arrangements.
- A good insurance package.
- Workout during work hours and sponsored gym membership.
- Bright and pleasant offices in a dynamic neighbourhood of Oslo, only 5 minutes from Mathallen
Should you have any questions regarding the position or your application, please reach out to our recruitment partner at Capus, Kristine Sandstå: 977 29 641, or Vilde Straume Wiig: 905 15 668.
NIS Foundation strives to be an inclusive workplace and welcomes diversity in the group of staff. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, regardless of any disabilities, background or identity, etc.
Deadline: 30th of November 2023, 23:59
Duty station: Oslo, Norway
Position title: Head of Finance
Reporting to: Christopher Eads, Executive Director NIS
Duration: Permanent position
Contract type: Full time
Nordic International Support Foundation (NIS) works to support improved security, environmental health, and stability through the realisation of the principles underpinning the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The Foundation’s work has a global focus, tailoring programmes to fit the needs and circumstances specific to the operating environment, ranging from conflict-affected countries to developed countries, including Norway. The Foundation has its offices in Oslo.
NIS primarily works with institutional development, social measures, education, utilisation of green technologies, grants management and awareness raising efforts, focusing on supporting the creation of peaceful and inclusive societies, environmental awareness, social equality and sustainability. In order to ensure our projects are relevant in both the practical, social, environmental and political dimensions of our work, NIS lays a great deal of emphasis on continuous contact with stakeholders, carrying out extensive community engagements tailored for the given context.